OTD 26 June 1922 Albert I Prince of Monaco

In Paris on 13 November 1848, a boy was born. He had a very long name:
Albert Honoré Charles Grimaldi.


Albert I of Monaco - Source picture: Wikipedia

He was a son of Charles III of Monaco and Countess Antoinette de Mérode-
Westerloo. His mother was a Belgian noblewoman with a lot of important
family members. 

Albert I served in the Spanish Army during the Franco-Prussian war and
later he joined the French Army. 

On 21 September 1869 he married Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton.
The couple married @ Château de Marchais.

But Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton detested all things Mediterranean.
After the birth of her son, Prince Louis, she moved from Monaco and
the marriage was dissolved.

In 1889 Albert I became the ruler of Monaco and he married 
Marie Alice Heine. The couple separated too although they never
divorced.

Monaco Oceanographic institute Albert Prince

Own picture

Albert I was very interested in Oceanography. He established the
Oceanographic Institute Foundation Albert I in Monaco.

Monaco Oceanographic institute Albert Prince

Own picture


Albert I of Monaco died on 26 June 1922 in Paris (France). He was
buried in the cathedral of Monaco.

Monaco cathedral grave Albert I


In 2013, I had the chance to visit his thomb (see picture).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is who? de Liedekerke family!

House of Wittelsbach - Between crazyness and excellence

Who was Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan?