The Weekend Special - Robert I, Duke of Parma and his family

Robert I  was the last sovereign Duke of Parma. He was a member of the
House of Bourbon-Parma (in Italian casa di Borbone di Parma).


Robert I Duke of Parma
Source picture: Wikipedia


He was born on July 9th. 1848 in Firenze (Florence).
His parents were Charles III, Duke of Parma and Louise Marie Thérèse d'Artois
(granddaughter of the French King Charles X).

Robert I married  Princess Maria Pia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.
They had 12 children.

After the death of Princess Maria Pia of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, he
married Maria Antonia of Portugal. They also had 12 children together.


Robert I, Duke of Parma and his family
Source picture: Wikipedia


A lot of them married to European Noble and Royal Families.

His eldest daughter Marie of Bourbon-Parma married Ferdinand I of Bulgaria.

Another daughter of him was Zita of Bourbon-Parma.
She married Charles I of Austria. She became the last Empress of Austria.

A son of Robert I, Felix, married Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg.
Prince Jean was their eldest child. In 1964 he succeeded his mother as Grand Duke.
Since then the members of the Grand Ducal family of Luxembourg
are also members of the House of Bourbon-Parma.

Robert I, Duke of Parma died on November 16th. 1907.

Trivia:



Château of Chambord
Source picture: Wikipedia

Did you know that Robert I, Duke of Parma inherited the Château of Chambord
in France from his childless uncle, Henri of Artois?
In 1915, the French state confiscated the property.

With this post, I'll end my Weekend Special.
I wish you all a nice (sunny) Sunday and a good start of the Week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is who? de Liedekerke family!

House of Wittelsbach - Between crazyness and excellence

Noble Families Ullens de Schooten