The Gevangenpoort (Prisoner's Gate) is a former gate and medieval
prison on the Buitenhof in The Hague, Netherlands. It is situated next
to the 18th-century art gallery founded by William V, Prince of Orange in
1774 known as the Prince William V Gallery.
From 1420 until 1828, the prison was used for housing people who had
committed serious crimes while they awaited sentencing.
Its most famous prisoner was Cornelis de Witt, who was held on the charge
of plotting the murder of the stadtholder. He was lynched together with
his brother Johan on 20 August 1672 on the square in front of the building
called groene zoodje after the grass mat used for the scaffold. When public
executions went out of fashion the area was used to build the "Witte Society",
a literature club that still exists today, but had to move when the street
was built in 1923.
In 1882, the Gevangenpoort became a prison museum. The "gate" function
was lost in 1923 when the houses adjoining the Hofvijver were taken down
to build the street that now allows busy traffic, including trams.
The pictures were taken in August 2022. The painting is from Wikipedia.
Do you want to know more? Check their website on this link.