World War I - Remembrance - Albert I monument in Nieuwpoort Belgium

This weekend I've visited a magnificent Royal Monument in Nieuwpoort, Belgium.
This wasn't just a another Royal statue.
Together with the environment it impresses me a lot.

King Albert I monument - Own picture


After World War I , remembrance committees decided to build a huge monument.
This was finished in 1938. 

Designer: Julien De Ridder
Statue: Karel Aubroeck

Albert I monument in Nieuwpoort Belgium
King Albert I monument - own picture


The place wasn't chosen by hazard. Here the German soldiers were stopped
on their way to France in 1914, by the water due to open the locks.

Last year there was a huge ceremony! Then a lot of royals and notables
visited this place inter alia:
King Philippe of the Belgians;
Queen Mathilde of the Belgians;
Former Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands;
Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg and many more.

Albert I monument in Nieuwpoort Belgium
King Albert I monument - own picture

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is who? de Liedekerke family!

House of Wittelsbach - Between crazyness and excellence

Who was Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan?