On the morning of July 14th. 1789, people stormed the Bastille.
The Bastille was a medieval fortress and prison in Paris.
The Storming of the Bastille marked
the start of the French Revolution.
Source picture: Wikipedia
King Louis XVI was informed by the Duke de la Rochefoucauld about this.
The King asked: is this a revolt?
The Duke answered: No, Sir, it is a revolution.
On October 6th. 1789, King Louis XVI and his family were forced
to leave Versailles.
They were kept under surveillance in the Tuileries Palace in Paris.
Tuileries Palace - Source: Wikipedia
In 1791, the Royal family tried to escape.
In Varennes they were arrested again.
On Januari 21st. 1793, Louis XVI of France was executed.
Marie Antoinette became Widow Capet.
The former Queen was plunged in a deep mourning after his death.
She was taken captive in the Conciergerie in Paris and was known
as prisoner no. 280.
Conciergerie Palace - Paris - Source: Wikipedia
During the reign of Terrors, Conciergerie was known as the
antichambre of the Guillotine.
On October 16th. 1793, Queen Marie Antoinette was killed by the Guillotine.
See my today in History of October 16th.
A few years ago, I had the chance to visit the Conciergerie. I couldn't stay there long.
I found it very frightening in there, remembering this cruel history.
The last words of Queen Marie Antoinette of France must have been:
'Pardon me Sir, I did not mean to do it'.
She told that to a man whose foot she stepped on before she was
executed by the Guillotine.
With these last words, I'll end my Weekend Special.
I hope you enjoyed it. I wish you all a nice
Sunday evening and a good start of the week!
Suggestions for my next Weekend Special or something else related
to this blog are always welcome!
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now