On November 2nd. 1083 Matilda of Flanders died.
Source picture: Wikipedia
Matilda of Flanders was the daughter of Baldwin V, Count of Flanders and
Adèle of France (daughter of Robert II of France).
She married William the Conqueror. William the Conqueror was King of England.
Matilda didn't want to marry him first. She refused his hand. But after a delay the
Picture of William the Conqueror - Source: Wikipedia
They had nine children, including two Kings: William II and Henry II.
After her death, Matilda was buried in the 'Abbaye aux Dames' in Cannes (France).
Do you know the Bayeux Tapestry?
The Bayeux Tapestry is a tapestry of nearly 70 meters (230ft) long.
On the tapestry the Battle of Hastings was depicted.
This battle was between the Norman-French army of William the Conqueror
and the anglo saxon King Harold II.
Bayeux Tapestry - Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now