Equestrian Statue of King Albert I of Belgium in Bruges

In 1934, King Albert I of Belgium found dead on this day in
Marche-les-Dames near Dinant.

King Albert I reigned from 1909 till his death in 1934. This was a very
hard period in Belgium due to World War I, the Great Depression and
a lot of political problems.

In 1951 (after a lot of troubles) there was a comité in Bruges who
wanted to build a statue to honor King Albert I.



Statue Albert I horse Bruges Belgium travel
King Albert I statue in Bruges Belgium

Sculptor Octave Rotsaert (who came from Bruges)
made the statue.




He had to redesign his statue for more than 4 times to please 
everyone.

Finally the statue was inaugurated on May 30th. 1954.
King Baudouin of Belgium (grandson of King Albert I)
attended the ceremony.



Statue Albert I horse Bruges Belgium travel
King Albert I statue in Bruges Belgium

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is who? de Liedekerke family!

House of Wittelsbach - Between crazyness and excellence

Who was Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan?