Louis of Nassau was born on January 10th. 1538 as the third son of
William, Count of Nassau and Juliana of Stolberg.
Louis of Nassau was one of the leaders of the league of the lesser
nobles in the 'Compromis des Nobles'.
This compromise took place in 1566. This compromise was an open letter to
King Philippe II of Spain stating that he should withdraw the inquisition
in the Netherlands. On April 5th. 1566 the compromise was offered to
Margaret of Parma,
Louis of Nassau helped his brother William in various ways.
He served in several battles like the Battle of Heiligerlee, Jemmingen and
Mookerheyde. Louis also arranged the wedding between his brother and
Anna of Saxony.
Louis of Nassau died on April 4th. 1574 during the battle.
His body was never founded.
On April 14th. 1981 a statue was inaugurated for Louis and his brother Hendrik,
at the reformed church in Heumen.
Picture 1 : Louis of Nassau - Source: Wikipedia
Picture 2 : Counts of Nassau - Source Wikipedia (the original painting is located
in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam).
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now