January 24th. 1444 marks the birth of Galeazzo Maria Sforza.
This event took place in Fermo (Italy).
His parents were Francesco I Sforza and Bianca Maria Visconti.
When his father died on March 8th. 1466 Galeazzo was in France
at the head of a military expedition to help King Louis XI of France
against Charles I of Burgundi. His mother called Galeazzo back
Galeazzo entered Milan on March 20th. 1466 and there he became
the new Duke. During the first years he ruled together with his
mother but his cruel character put his mother away from Milan.
In 1466 Galeazzo married Dorotea Gonzaga, a daughter of
Ludovico III Gonzaga, Marquess of Mantua and
Barbara of Brandenburg. She died in 1467.
Galeazzo Maria Sforza became a patron of Music. He transformed
his chapel into a famous one and composers from the north
came to sing for Gaelazzo Maria Sforza.
Galeazzo Maria Sforza had a bad reputation. He was a womanizer,
who passed his women to his courtiers when he was bored of them.
On May 9th. 1468 Galeazzo Maria Sforza married Bona of Savoy.
They would have 4 children. At least Galeazzo had one illegitimate
On December 26th. 1476 Galeazzo Maria Sforza was murdered
by three young noblemen on the porch of the cathedral church of
San Stefano in Milan.
Galeazzo Maria Sforza was succeeded by his seven year old son
Gian Galeazzo Sforza.
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books Magazines Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria Children & Grandchildren 1
- Descendants of Queen Victoria Great-Grandchildren 2
- Descendants of Queen Victoria Great Great Grandchildren 3
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now