Adolf of Holstein-Gottorp was born on January 25th. 1526 as a
son of King Frederick I of Denmark and Sophie of Pomerania.
After the death of King Frederick I of Denmark his three sons
divided his land and possessions. The revenues such as taxes
were divided equally between the brothers. So, Adolf
became the first Duke of Holstein-Gottorp.
On December 17th. 1564 Adolf of Holstein-Gottorp married
Christine of Hesse. She was the daughter of Philip I, Landgrave
of Hesse.Their wedding resulted in a scandal when the guests
of the wedding consumed too much alcohol.
They would have 10 children. One of their daughters, Christina,
would marry King Charles IX of Sweden.
Adolf participated at the Diet of Augsburg, when he saw
Emperor Charles V at the high point of his power. He returned
home in 1553.
Adolf of Holstein-Gottorp died on August 1st. 1586.
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now