Hendrick, also written as Henry, Hendrik, Lord of Brederode was born in
December 1531 in Brussels, now capital of Belgium.
His parents were Reinoud III van Brederode and Philippotte von der Marck.
Hendrick was their eldest son. They were members of the noble family
Hendrick was raised in the Reformed faith and he fought on the side of
the Prince of Orange and the Count of Egmont against the Spanish
In 1566 he was one of the founders of the Confederacy of nobles who
bound themselves to keep their rights and their freedom of the country.
They signed a very important document: Compromise of Nobles.
On April 5th. 1566 Hendrick was one of the nobles who gave a petition
with grievance to Margaret of Parma, the regent of The Netherlands.
Hendrick became an important member during the Eighty Year's War.
He was named 'Grote Geus' or in English 'Big Beggar'.
In 1557 Hendrick married Amalia of Neuenahr. The marriage remained
On February 15th. 1568, Hendrick van Brederode died in exile at
Castle Horneburg in Recklinghausen.
In 1569 Amalia of Neuenahr remarried Frederick III, Elector Palatinate.
See my Today in History of February 14th or on this link.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now