March 25th. 1345 (or 1347) marks the birth of Blanche of Lancaster. This
took place at the Bolingbroke Castle in Lincolnshire, England.
Her parents were Henry of Grosmont, 1st. Duke of Lancaster and
Isabel de Beaumont.
Love & Marriage
On May 19th. 1359 Blanche married her third cousin,
John of Gaunt,at the Reading Abbey in Berkshire.
They would have seven children. This marriage has been considered
to be happy, although there were not many evidences for that.
The Duke of Lancaster
The title Duke of Lancaster ended when Blanche's father died without
male heirs in 1361. Blanche's husband inherited in 1362 (after the death
of Blanche's elder sister) a lot of titles like:
- Earl of Lancaster;
- Earl of Derby;
- Earl of Lincoln;
- Earl of Leicester etc...
This made from John of Gaunt "Lord High Steward of England".
Blanche of Lancaster died On September 12th. 1368, at Tutbury Castle in
Staffordshire. This happened while her husband was overseas. It is believed
that she might have died from the Black death. She was buried at the
St. Paul's Cathedral.
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now