April 14th. 1818 marks the birth of Princess Marie of Saxe-Altenburg. This
took place in Hildburghausen, Thuringia (Germany).
Family & Titles
Her parents were Joseph, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg and
Duchess Amalia of Württemberg.
In 1826 the family moved from Hildburghausen to Altenburg.
Within the family Ernestine Wettins, there were an amount of transfers of
territories, so Princess Marie received the title Princess of Saxe-Altenburg.
Love & Marriage
On February 18th. 1843 Princess Marie married George Crown Prince of
Hanover. They would have 3 children:
- Prince Ernest August;
- Princess Frederica;
- Princess Marie.
Queen Consort of Hanover
On November 18th. 1851, George became King of Hanover, upon the death of
his father Ernest Augustus I of Hanover.
However in 1866 her husband was expelled from his Kingdom due to his support
of Austria, during the Austria-Prussian war.
On September 18th. 1872, Queen Marie of Hanover became godmother of
Princess Marie Louise of Schleswig-Holstein, a granddaughter of
Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.
Living in Exile
Queen Marie and her children moved to Gmunden in Austria there she lived
till her death on January 9th. 1907 at the age of 88.
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now