On January 5th. 1477 the final battle of the Burgundian Wars took
place outside the walls of Nancy (located in France).
It was there that Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy fought
against René II, Duke of Lorraine and the Swiss Confederacy.
In 1477, Charles was besieging the city of Nancy (the capital of
Lorraine). He wanted to bring the siege to an end at all costs.
René had gathered around 12.000 men from Lorraine and the
Lower Union of the Rhine. A Swiss Army of 10.000 men arrived
to help him.
They reached Nancy in the morning of January 5th. and Charles
learned that his opponents were too strong. The Duke was seen
to fall but the battle flowed on around him. Three days later the
Duke's body was finally found.
The news of the Burgundian defeat and the death of
Charles the Bold was spread across Europe. Many couldn't
Charles the Bold was succeeded by his daughter Mary, who
inherited a lot of troubles in the lands of her father.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now