António Maria de Fontes Pereira de Melo was born on 8 September 1819 in
Santa Isabel, Lisbon, Portugal.
He was the son of João de Fontes Pereira de Melo, a Portuguese General,
politician and Governor of Cape Verde and Minister of the Maritime and
His mother was Jacinta Venãncia Rosa da Cunha Matos.
António was, like his father, a Portuguese statesman, politician and engineer.
Historically he became a very important political figure, deputy and he served
even six times as Minister of Finance.
He is remembered for conducting industrial and public infrastructure, which is
known as Fontismo (after his name).
He also implemented educational reforms in accordance with the
industrialization process. He initiated the Instituto Industrial de Lisboa
and the Escola Industrial do Porto.
António Maria de Fontes Pereira de Melo died on 22 January 1887, in
Lisbon, Portugal at the age of 67.
The Fontes Pereira de Melo Lighthouse of the island Santo Antão in
Cape Verde was named for him. It was constructed when he was
Prime Minister. Now it is called the Ponta do Tumbo Lighthouse.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books Magazines Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria Children & Grandchildren 1
- Descendants of Queen Victoria Great-Grandchildren 2
- Descendants of Queen Victoria Great Great Grandchildren 3
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now