On 14 April 1204, Henry I (Spanish: Enrique) of Castile was born in Valladolid,
nowadays a part of the Kingdom of Spain.
Henry was born as a son of King Alfonso VIII of Castile and Eleanor of England,
Queen of Castile.
His paternal grandparents were King Sancho III of Castile and Blance of Navarre.
His maternal grandparents were King Henry II of England and Eleanor,
Duchess of Aquitaine.
He had siblings inter alia:
- Berengaria, Queen of Castile;
- Urraca, Queen of Portugal, was married to King Alfonso II of Portugal;
- Blanche, Queen of France, was married to King Louis VIII of France;
- Eleanor, Queen of Aragon, was married to King James I of Aragon.
In 1211, Henry became heir to the throne when his older brother, Ferdinand,
When his father died in 1214, Henry was just 10 years old so the regency
was assumed by Henry's older sister Berengaria of Castle, wife of
King Alfonso IX of Leon.
In 1215, at the age of 11, Henry married Mafalda of Portugal. She was
the daughter of King Sancho I of Portugal. As he was very young, the
marrriage was not consummated and it was dissolved in 1216 by
Pope Innocent III. In the same year Henry became betrothed to his
second cousin Sancha, heiress of León.
Henry died in Palencia in 1217 at the age of 13, killed by a tile coming off
a roof. His sister Berengaria succeeded him, before renouncing the throne
in favour of her son, who would become King Ferdinand III of Castile.
Henry I of Castile was interred at Las Huelgas monastery in Burgos.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now