Johann VI, also called John VI or John the Elder was born on
November 22nd. 1536 at Dillenburg Castle.
His parents were William I, Count of Nassau- Dillenburg and
Juliane of Stolberg-Wernigerode. Johann or John was the
younger brother of William the Silent.
Johan VI was married 3 times and he had 24 children.
1/ Countess Elisabeth of Leuchtenberg. Their marriage took place on
June 6th. 1559. They would have 13 children. Elisabeth died in 1579.
2/ Kunigunde Jakobaä of Simmern on September 13th. 1580. They
would have 4 children. She died on January 26th. 1586.
3/ Johannetta of Sayn-Wittgenstein on June 14th. 1586. She bore him
Johann VI, Count of Nassau-Dillenburg was the principal author of
the Union of Utrecht. This Treaty was signed on January 23rd. 1579.
It founded the Republic of the Seven United Provinces.
In 1581 a formal declaration of independence was signed.
Johann VI or John the Elder died on October 8th. 1606.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books Magazines Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now