In the evening of February 24th. 1500 a lot of bell rings and gun salutes
announced the birth of a Prince in Ghent (now located in Flanders, Belgium).
The boy received the name Charles.
His parents were Philip the Handsome and Joanna the Mad.
They stayed since November 1499 at the Prinsenhof in Ghent.
The Prinsenhof was a residence of the Counts of Flanders. It fell into
disrepair and it was lost around 1870.
The citizens of Ghent came to the Prinsenhof to cheer for
Philip the Handsome and Joanna the Mad.
A lot of parties were organized in the Netherlands to celebrate
this important birth.
The Culture and the Courtly life of the Burgundian Low Countries
stayed very important during Charles 's young life.
And the noble boy grew up to an Holy Roman Emperor, but that's for
another blog post.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books Magazines Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now