On March 20th. 1811, Napoleon was born at the Tuileries Palace in
His parents were Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte of France and
Empress Marie Louise.
Childhood in France
On June 9th. 1811 Napoleons baptism was held.in the Notre Dame
Cathedral in Paris.
As a son of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, Napoleon already held
the titles Prince Imperial and heir apparent but Napoleon Bonaparte
gave his son the title: King of Rome.
On April 4th. 1814, Napoleon Bonaparte abdicated and the three-
year-old became Emperor of the French under the name Napoleon II.
On April 6th. 1814, Napoleon Bonaparte fully abdicated and
renounced not only his rights but also those for his descendants.
On April 23rd. 1814 mother and son were escorted by an
Austrian regiment and they left France forever, for their exile in
Youth in Austria
In 1815 after the Battle of Waterloo, Napoleon abdicated for the
second time. Meanwhile Napoleon II was raised in Austria by his
mother. He had probably never been aware of the new commotion.
From 1814 Napoleon II lived in Austria, there he took the name
In 1818 he was awarded the title Duke of Reichstadt, by his
maternal grandfather, Emperor Francis.
Napoleon II received his education from a staff of military tutors
and he developed a passion for soldiering. He liked to dress himself
in military uniforms just like his father did.
At the age of 12, Napoleon II was made a cadet in the Austrian Army.
Tutors described him as intelligent, serious and focused.
In 1831 Napoleon alias Franz was given a command of an Austrian
battalion. However in 1832 he caught pneumonia and he died the same
year, on July 22nd. 1832 of tuberculosis at the Schönbrunn Palace in
Napoleon II was buried in Vienna. However on December 15th. 1940,
Hitler ordered the remains of Napoleon II to be transferred from Vienna
to the dome of Les Invalides in Paris. Most of the remains of Napoleon II
went to Paris, but his heart and intestines stayed in Vienna, which is a
tradition for most of the members of the House of Habsburg.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now