April 28th. 1612 marks the birth of Odoardo Farnese, also known as
Odoardo I Farnese, to distinguish him from his grandson
Odoardo II Farnese.
His parents were Ranuccio I Farnese and Margherita Aldobrandini.
Love & Marriage
On October 11th. 1628 Odoardo Farnese married Margherita de' Medici,
a daughter of Cosimo II de' Medici and Maria Maddalena of Austria.
This took place in Florence (Italy).
The wedding ceremonies were accompanied with much spectacle, including
the performance of a special opera.
Margherita de' Medici was described as a beautiful, amiable and well-educated
woman. The Duke was very devoted to her.
The years in which the couple ruled over Parma were marked by the Plague
in 1630. There also was a huge contrast between the Splendor of the court
and the way their subjects lived. A raise in Tax Income was used to improve
Odoardo 's army.
The Duke also had a pro-French policy, therefore he made an alliance with
France in 1633 to moved out the Spanish troops from his Duchy.
Finally in 1637, Pope Urbanus VIII convinced him to sign a peace treaty.
In 1641 the Duke was excommunicated by the same Pope, however due
to a peace in 1644 Odoardo Farnese was reconciled with the
Roman Catholic Church.
On September 11th. 1646, Odoardo I Farnese, died suddenly in his
favorite residence, Piacenza (Italy).
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now