Leopold George Duncan Albert was born on April 7th. 1853 at Buckingham Palace
in Londen, United Kingdom.
His parents were Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and her husband, Prince
Albert. Prince Leopold was named after his grand-uncle, King Leopold
On June 28th. 1853, Prince Leopold was baptized in the Private Chapel of
Buckingham Palace by the Archbishop of Canterbury, John Bird Sumner.His
- George V of Hanover;
- Princess William of Prussia;
- Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge;
- Prince Ernst of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.
Unfortunately Prince Leopold inherited hemophilia from his mother,
In 1872, Prince Leopold entered Oxford University. There he studied various
subjects and he even became president of the Oxford University Chess Club.
Later he was a patron of Chess and in 1883 the London Chess Tournament was
held under his patronage.
On May 24th. 1881 Prince Leopold received the title(s):
Duke of Albany;
Earl of Clarence;
Love & Marriage
Although Queen Victoria wanted to keep Prince Leopold at home, he desired to
wed. Due to his illness he had many difficulties to find a wife.
- Princess Frederica of Hanover;
- Princess Victoria of Baden;
- Princess Karoline Mathilde of Schliswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg,
Finally Queen Vicotira found a suitable candidate. She 'suggested' a meeting
between her son and Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont (sister of
Queen Consort Emma of the Netherlands).
They had a brief but happy marriage and they would have two children:
- Princess Alice
- Prince Charles Edward.
Through his son, Prince Leopold was the great-grandfather of
Carl XVI Gustaf, the current King of Sweden.
Prince Leopold died on March 28th. 1884 at the age of 30 in Cannes, France.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now