Baldwin IX of Flanders, was crowned on May 16th. 1204 at the Hagia Sophia
in Constantinople (now Istanbul) as the first Emperor of the Latin Empire.
He 'reigned' under Baldwin I.
Baldwin IX of Flanders was a son of Baldwin V, Count of Hainaut and
Margaret of Flanders.
The Latin Empire also known as the Empire of Romania or the Latin Empire of
Constantinople or the Latin occupation was a feudal Crusader state founded by
the leaders of the fourth crusade. It was founded in 1204 and lasted till 1261.
In 1205 there came a huge revolt and since then Baldwin I was captured.
His family didn't know what happened to him.
Later, in 1206, it became clear that Baldwin I had died, although
the circumstances around his death weren't known.
Do you want to know more about the Counts of Flanders and their Family?
Check this link.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now