May 22nd. 1770 marks the birth of Princess Elizabeth of the United Kingdom.
This happy event took place at Buckingham House, (now Buckingham Palace)
Her parents were King George III and his wife, Queen Charlotte, née
Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
On June 17th. 1770 Princess Elizabeth was christened in the Great Council Chamber
at the St. James's Palace in London.
Her godparents were inter alia:
- The Hereditary Prince of Hesse-Cassel;
- The Princess of Nassau-Weilburg;
- The Crown Princess of Sweden.
Princess Elizabeth of the United Kingdom was thus an aunt of the later
Queen Victoria. The two had a correspondence with each other.
Love and Marriage
It is supposed that Princess Elizabeth of the United Kingdom had a secret marriage.
She married George Ramus, a son of Nicholas Ramus, who had been a page of
King George III. Princess Elizabeth would have a daughter with George, called Eliza.
However this marriage between a Princess and a commoner wasn't allowed.
Instead Princess Elizabeth married on April 7th. 1818,
Prince Frederick of Hesse-Homburg.
Landgravine of Hesse-Homburg
On January 20th. 1820 Prince Frederick of Hesse-Homburg succeeded his father
as Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg. With the help from Elizabeth's dowry he was
able to give the order to remodel the palace in Homburg.
On January 10th. 1840, Princess Elizabeth died in Frankfurt am Main, Hesse,
Germany. She was buried in the Mausoleum of the Landgraves in Homburg.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now