Joseph I of Portugal (José I) was born on June 6th. 1714 at the
Ribeira Palace in Lisbon.
His parents were John V of Portugal and Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria.
Joseph had an elder brother, Peter. However Peter died at the age of 2.
Then Joseph was styled Prince of Brazil, as heir apparent of the King and
Duke of Braganza.
Love and Marriage
On January 1729, Joseph married Maria Victoria of Spain. She was the daughter
of King Philip V of Spain and Elisabeth Farnese. Joseph 's elder sister,
Barbara of Portugal, married the future Ferdinand IV of Spain.
Maria Victoria was a serious woman, who disliked her husband's affairs.
I made a 'Today in History' about Maria Victoria of Spain, which you can read
on this link.
In 1750 Joseph I succeeded the Portuguese throne. At that time he was 36 years
The actual power in Portugal during Joseph's reign was in the hands of the
Marquess of Pombal.
On February 24th. 1777 Joseph I of Portugal died at the Sintra Palace in Portugal.
He was succeeded by his eldest daughter Maria.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now