Louis III, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine was born on June 9th.1806
in Darmstadt, Hesse, (now Germany).
Louis III of Hesse and by Rhine was the son of Louis II,
Grand Duke of Hesse and his wife Wilhelmine of Baden.
Love and Marriage
On December 26th. 1833, Louis III, Grand Duke of Hesse married
Princess Mathilde Caroline of Bavaria.
Princess Mathilde Caroline of Bavaria was the eldest daughter of
King Ludwig I of Bavaria.
This marriage remained childless. Princess Mathilde Caroline died in
In 1868 Louis III of Hesse and by Rhine married morganatically to
Magdalene Appel, who was created Baroness of Hochstädten.
Important Royal Network
During the Autstro-Prussian war of 1866, Louis III wrote to
Queen Victoria, the mother-in-law of his nephew and successor:
"in the same sense I had already written before, but it would be
On June 13th. 1877 Louis III, Grand Duke of of Hesse and by Rhine died in
Seeheim. He was succeeded by his nephew Louis IV.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now