Alfred Ernest Albert was born on August 6th. 1844 at Windsor Castle in
His parents were Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom and
Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. As a son of the monarch, he
received the title: His Royal Highness the Prince Alfred. In his family
he was known as Affie.
Love and Marriage
On January 23rd. 1874 he married Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna
of Russia. She was a daughter of Emperor Alexander II of Russia and
his wife Marie of Hesse.
Prince Alfred and Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna would have
In 1856 Prince Alfred entered the Royal Navy. On February 24th. 1863,
he was promoted to lieutenant. On February 22rd. 1866 Prince Albert
On May 24th. 1866 Prince Alfred received the title Duke of Edinburgh
with an annuity of 15.000 pounds granted by the parliament. He also
became a member of the House of Lords.
In 1866 Prince Alfred succeeded his uncle Ernest II as the reigning
Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha in the German Empire.
On July 30th. 1900, at the age of 55, Prince Alfred, Duke of Saxe-
Coburg and Gotha died at the Rosenau Castle in Coburg.
See also the page Descendants of Queen Victoria Chidren & Grandchildren
on top of the blog or on this link.
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books, Magazines & Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now