Claude of France was born on October 13th 1499 at Romorantin-Lanthenay
(now located in the Loir et Cher department in central France).
Her parents were King Louis XII of France and his wife Anne of Brittany.
Claude had a younger sister Renée of France.
Love and marriage
On August 10th 1501 there was a signed marriage contract between
Claude and the future Holy Roman Emperor Charles V. She was then 2 years
old, he one year old. In 1505, Louis XII of France canceled this agreement.
Instead Claude married on May 18th 1514 to her cousin Francis,
who would become King Francis I of France.
Claude and Francis would have 7 children, two of them became over
30 years old.
In 1515, Anne Boleyn stayed in Francis ' household as translator
for his English documents. However she returned in 1521 in England.
On May 10th 1517, Claude was crowned as Queen of France. She
spent most of her married life with pregnancies and her husband had
many mistresses, although he was discrete.
Claude of France died on July 20th 1524 at the Château de Blois.
She was buried at the Saint Denis Basilica.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now