October 26th. 1427 marks the birth of Sigismund, Archduke of Austria.
This took place in Innsbruck.
His parents were Frederick IV, Duke of Austria and Anna of Brunswick.
Sigismund was thus a first cousin of Holy Roman Emperor,
In 1439, Sigismund succeeded his father in Tyrol and Further Austria.
During his rule, Sigismund had a conflict with the Bishop of Brixen and
the Duke took the bishop captive. The pope excommunicated
In 1469 he sold his lands near the Rhine to Charles the Bold, Duke of
In 1477, Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III, made Sigismund Archduke.
During his reign, Sigismund reformed the money matters of his estates.
In 1487, Jakob Fugger the Rich became his bankers.
Love and Marriage
Sigismund Archduke of Austria was married to:
1/ Eleanor of Schotland (1443-1480). She was a daughter of
King James I of Scotland and Joan Beafort
2/ Catherine of Saxony a daughter of Albert III, Duke of Saxony and
Sidonie of Podebrady.
He had no children.
Sigismund, Archduke of Austria died on March 4th. 1496.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books Magazines Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now