November 18th. 1774 marks the birth of Friederike Louise Wilhelmine of
Prussia. This event took place in Potsdam (Germany).
Princess Wilhelmine was a daughter of King Frederick William II of Prussia
and Queen Frederica Louisa. Her education was dominated by the strict
regime of her great-uncle Frederick the Great. However there wasn't much
known about her youth.
Love and Marriage
On October 1st. 1791, Princess Wilhelmine married her cousin,
William of the Netherlands. He was the son of Stadtholder William V,
Prince of Orange. Their wedding took place in Berlin.
Their marriage was a part of an arranged wedding pact between the
House of Orange and that of Prussia.
It became a real love match and their marriage life was very happy.
They young couple lived at the Noordeinde Palace in The Hague.
They would have 6 children, only 3 of them would reach their
In 1815, Princess Wilhelmine became Queen of the Netherlands.
During those days, the Netherlands included what's nowadays the
country of Belgium.
Queen Wilhelmine was modest and she liked to stay in the background
so she didn't play a dominant role as queen. She wasn't popular.
Queen Wilhelmine also was criticized for her German style of
She liked to paint, as queen she attended exhibitions, protected
museums and supported artists.
In the 1820's, Queen Wilhelmine 's health worsened. After 1829
she was rarely seen in public.
Queen Wilhelmine died on October 12th. 1837 at Noordeinde
Palace in The Hague. She is entombed in the New Church in
See also the page : The Netherlands a Royal History on top
of my blog or on this link
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now