Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont was born on February 17th. 1861 in
Arolsen (now located in Germany).
Her parents were George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and
Princess Helena of Nassau.
She was thus a sister of Emma, Queen Consort of William III of the
Love and Marriage
The sisters, Helena, Emma and Pauline were considered as a
second wife for King William III of the Netherlands,
however Emma became his consort.
Later, Helena met Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany and the youngest son
of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, at the suggestion of her mother.
In November 1881, the two became engaged. On April 27th. 1882, Leopold
and Helena married in the St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle.
After their wedding, the Royal Couple resided at Claremont House.
The couple had a brief, but happy marriage.
Unfortunately, Leopold died of haemophilia after a fall in Cannes France
in March 1884. Then, Helena was pregnant with their second child.
The couple had two children:
- Princess Alice of Albany, later Countess of Athlone
- Prince Charles, Duke of Albany, later Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
Princess Alice of Albany said that her mother was very intelligent
and she had a strong sense of duty too.
Helena liked to go among the people and Queen Victoria soon came
to regard her young daughter-in-law with respect and affection.
In 1899, Helena opened the Albany institute.
During World War I, Helena was involved in several hospital charities.
In 1899, Helena's son the Duke of Albany was selected as the new
heir to the German Duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. He took
residence there. When the First World War broke out he fought in the
German army. Due to this, he was stripped out of his British titles.
Helena's daughter, Alice, remained in England, through her marriage
she became a sister-in- law of George V's consort, Queen Mary.
Helena died on September 1st. 1922 of a heart attack in Tyrol, Austria.
Through her son she is a great-grandmother of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)