Louis IX, Duke of Bavaria, also known as the Rich was born on
February 23rd. 1417 in Burghausen, Bavaria, now located in
His parents were Henry XVI, Duke of Bavaria and
Margaret of Austria. He was a member of the noble House of
Love and Marriage
On March 21st. 1452, Louis married Princess Amalia of Saxony.
They would have four children.
In 1450, Louis succeeded his father as Duke of Bavaria.
He was the second of the three famous rich dukes, who reigned
Bavaria-Landshut in the 15th. century.
In 1458, Louis invaded the imperial free cities of Dinkelsbühl
and Donauwörth. He disputed this with Holy Roman Emperor,
In 1462, Louis defeated his enemy, Albert III, Margrave of
Louis also expelled all Jews who rejected baptism from his
In 1463, peace was made in Prague between Louis and the
Holy Roman Emperor.
In 1472, the Bavarian duke founded the Ludwig-Maximilians
University in Ingolstadt, which was moved to Landshut in
1800 and finally to Munich.
In 1475, Louis organized the Landshut Wedding of his son
George with Princess Hedwig Jagiellon, daughter of
King Casimir IV of Poland. This wedding was one of the
most splendid festivals of the Middle Age.
To know more about the Landshut Wedding, check
Louis IX, Duke of Bavaria died on January 18th. 1479
in Landshut, Bavaria.
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now