Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon was born on 4 August 1900.
Her father was Claude Bowes-Lyon the 14th. Earl of Strathmore and Kinghore.
Her mother was Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck, a descendant of the British Prime
Minister William Cavendish-Bentinck, 3 rd. Duke of Portland. She also was a
descendant of Richard Wellesley, 1st. Marques of Wellesley, Governor of India
and a younger brother of another Prime Minister: Arthur Wellesley, 1st. Duke of
Love and Marriage
In 1921, Prince Albert, Duke of York (known as Bertie in the family), second son
of King George V asked for her hand but she turned him down.
In 1922, Elizabeth was a bridesmaid for Albert's sister Princess Mary, the next
month Albert proposed her but she turned him down again.
Finally in January 1923, Elizabeth agreed to marry Prince Albert, despite her
misgivings for living a royal life.
The two would marry on 26 April 1923 at Westminster Abbey.
The couple would have 2 daughters:
Elizabeth (Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia
and New Zealand)
In 1936 Prince Albert became a King after the abdication of his elder brother
King Edward VIII. Prince Albert ruled as King George VI.
She accompanied her husband on diplomatic tours and they became very
popular during World War II (they stayed in London during the Blitz).
On 6 February 1952, King George VI died in his sleep and Elizabeth became
a widow. Her daughter, Elizabeth, was crowned in June 1953.
She remained very popular and took care of her grandchildren especially with
Charles, Prince of Wales.
Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother died on 30 March 2002 at the age of 102
at Royal Lodge, Windsor, Berkshire.
Source pictures: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now