Mahmud I was born on 2 August 1696 at the Edirne Palace in Edirne,
then a part of the Ottoman Empire, now located in north western
He was the son of Mustafa II and Saliha Sabkati Valide Sultan.
Mahmud I was the older brother of Osman III.
In September 1730, a small group of Janissaries aroused some of
the citizens of Constantinople who opposed the reforms of
There was a riot at the Topkapi Palace and Ahmet III agreed that his
nephew Mahmud would become the new sultan.
Mahmud I was recognized as sultan by the mutineers and by the
court officials as well.
Mahmud I reigned from 1730 till his death in 1754. This period
was dominated by wars with Persia, Austria and Russia.
Mahmud I entrusted the government to his viziers and spent much
of his time composing poetry.
Mahmud I died on 13 December 1754 at the Topkapi Palace in
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Books -Tv-programs & internet sites
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now