On 26 March 1584, John II the Younger (in German: Johann II der Jüngere)
was born in Bergzabern, now a part of southern Germany.
John was born as the eldest son of John I, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken
and his wife Magdalene of Cleves Berg.
He was thus a grandson of Wolfgang, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken,
Anna of Hesse, Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg and
Marie of Habsburg, Archduchess of Austria.
Through them he was a great grandson of:
Louis II, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken;
Elisabeth of Hesse;
Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse;
Christine of Saxony;
John III, Duke of Cleves;
Maria von Geldern;
Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor;
Anna of Bohemia and Hungary.
John belonged to the noble family of Wittelsbach.
In 1604, John succeeded his father.
From 1610 - 1612 he was the guardian of Frederick V, Elector Palatine.
He also was briefly the deputy of the Holy Roman Emperor Rudolph II.
Love and marriage
On 26 August 1604, John married Catherine de Rohan, daughter of
René II, Viscount of Rohan. They had one daughter. However she died
on 10 May 1607.
On 13 May 1612, John married Louise Juliana, daughter of Frederick IV,
Elector Palatine. They would have 7 children.
John died on 9 August 1635 at the age of 51 in Metz (now a part of France).
Source picture: Wikipedia
- Home Page
- About me
- Books Magazines Movies about Royal Family and history
- Royal Destinations in Europe
- Royal Families in the world
- Royal Fashion and Shopping
- Travels of Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria
- House of Habsburg
- History of Belgium & the Low Countries before 1830
- Belgium a Royal History - 1830 till now
- The Netherlands: A Royal History
- Royal families in Germany
- Royal History of France
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Children & Grandchildren) - (1)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Grandchildren) (2)
- Descendants of Queen Victoria (Great-Great Grandchildren) (3)
- Russia: House of Romanov 1600 -1762
- Russia: House of Romanov 1762 till 1917
- Russia: House of Romanov 1917 - now