King Leopold I of Belgium and a special statue in De Panne

De Panne is a beautiful town near the North Sea in Flanders, Belgium.
This municipality borders France and it has a great Royal History.

Leopold I monument De Panne

De Panne Leopold I monument 

It was here that Leopold I, the first King of Belgium arrived in his new
country on July 17th. 1831. He came to Calais (France) from England.


Leopold I monument De Panne

A huge statue 

To remember this great historic event, a huge statue was created.
This monument was made by René Cliquet and
inaugurated in 1958 by King Baudouin.



Leopold I monument De Panne

A closer view




This is written (in Latin) on top of the monument:

"Here is Leopold, the first King of Belgium, arrived on Belgian soil and
received with a ceremony on July 17th. 1831." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is who? de Liedekerke family!

House of Wittelsbach - Between crazyness and excellence

Who was Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan?