Franz I, Prince of Liechtenstein

Liechtenstein, a German-speaking micro state in the Alps in the southwest of Central
Europe really has an interesting royal history. It is a principality headed by the Prince of
Liechtenstein.

Birth

On 28 august 1853, Franz I, Prince of Liechtenstein was born at Liechtenstein Castle, 
near Vienna in the Austrian Empire. 

His parents were Prince Aloys II of Liechtenstein and Countess Franziska Kinsky of
Wchinitz and Tettau. 

Franz I attended the University of Vienna in Austria and later he went to the 
University of Prague. He also was a Knight in the Austrian order of the Golden Fleece.




Love and Marriage

Franz I, Prince of Liechtenstein fell in love to Elisabeth von Gutmann, a woman who
had converted to Roman Catholicism from Judaism. The brother of Franz I, Prince
Johann disapproved the relationship and he refused to give his consent. But Franz I
married Elisabeth von Gutmann secretly after the death of his brother Johann. 

Duty

On 11 February 1929, Johann died and Franz became Prince of Liechtenstein. He 
was the first Head of State who stayed regularly in Liechtenstein. 

In 1937, Franz I founded the Order of Merit of the Principality of Liechtenstein. 

Franz I, Prince of  Liechtenstein had no children, so his nephew Aloys was heir
to the throne. However Aloys passed this to his son Franz Jozef.

Franz I, Prince of Liechtenstein made Franz Josef regent on 31 March 1938,
after Nazi Germany annexed Austria. 




Death

On 25 July 1938 at the age of 84, Franz I, Prince of Liechtenstein died at
Castle Feldberg in Czechoslovakia. He was buried in the Church of the
Nativity of the Virgin Mary in Brno in Czechoslovakia. 


Source pictures: Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who is who? de Liedekerke family!

House of Wittelsbach - Between crazyness and excellence

Who was Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan?